Monday, June 15, 2009

First Day at Summer Camp

D started summer camp this morning. As a newbie in a strange and unknown environment, he did quite well. As a mom, introducing my baby boy to the world of camps, I did not.

I was wrong to be skeptical of him-his capacity to take things in his stride, his ease and calmness with transitions. I anticipated him to be clingy, teary but he was none of that. He said hello to his new teachers, took in his new classroom, picked out a puzzle and started working on it.

I asked him if I can go, he nodded with a smile on his face. As I hugged him good bye, tears started flowing. Uncontrollably. I couldn't stop to my son’s embarrassment. The teachers smiled sympathetically at me. I stepped out quickly to straighten myself up, went back in, gave him a tight hug and scurried out of the building, emotions overpowering me. On my way out, I peeped into the class one last time through one of the windows to make sure my little baby was fine. Yes he was, intently putting the puzzle together.

Although I am relieved that he did quite well, I am not sure if we made the right choice in selecting this center. I didn’t find the place particularly warm. The director who ushered us in was business like, curt and to the point. She didn’t even acknowledge D. There was a secondary teacher Vimla, who, in her broken English did her best to make D comfortable but it didn’t do him much good. The lead teacher was a young woman, possibly in her late twenties who wasn’t forthcoming and seemed uninvolved. I may be reading too much into this and perhaps over reacting. I hope I am proved wrong.

We were undoubtedly blessed to have a great pre-school experience with immensely kind and generous teachers. It was like one big happy family-safe, secure and fun. And I truly hope that this too shall turn out to be something similar or even better – a rich, positive and worthwhile experience that will prepare him for the big school which he starts in September.

This morning was a reminder of how blessed I am to have D in my life. He is my pride and joy. The world is exciting for him now and I am confident that with his easy going nature and calm demeanor, he will welcome each new beginning effortlessly.

No comments: