Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Sibling Bond

I was totally wrong to think that A likes the change in her routine-the new school. Well, I should have known better. She was excited but her enthusiasm was short lived, lasted perhaps for a day. Ever since the first day, she has been throwing a huge fit when we drop her off. She drops herself to the floor, kicks, screams, pushes away anyone who tries to pacify her - anything to get herself out of the place. Interestingly, her tantrums are also short lived because five or ten minutes later, she is happily playing Legos or fixing puzzles with some of her new friends. I know we just need to give her 'time' to acclimatise.

Strangely, I am not as affected this time around. I remember how messed up I was when D started school. But with A, it's been a different story. I am calmer, composed, less emotional and don't feel my heart tug as much as it did previously.
It hasn't been difficult because I take comfort in the fact that A has someone to watch over her-her 4 almost 5 year old brother. Ever since his little sister joined his school, D has dutifully carried out his role as the big brother. They enjoy the time they get to play with one another which is about a couple of times during the day. And when they are not together, D is always keeping an eye on her, evident in the way he gives me a minute-by-minute update on what his sister did after he gets home. Both of them come home happy and content-not just with what they did at school but more so because they have each other.

It is heartwarming to watch them together. Everyday I admire what they share - this special sibling bond. A bond, scared, strong and beautiful. Something similar but perhaps deeper than what I shared with my brothers. As a mother and a parent, I couldn't have asked for more. And I hope they continue to be just as loving and supportive as they are now in the years to come- that their friendship withstands the inevitable misfortunes of life, the adversities of time and remains untouched, unaffected.

No comments: