Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What a Momentous Day ....

....it was for the United States of America. Obama, the first African American president was sworn in yesterday with millions of people as witness. People who braved the wintry chill, who travelled distances to be a part of this historic event. As I watched him deliver his inauguration speech, I couldnt help but feel immense pride for him. He brings hope and promise. He exudes greatness yet he is practical about the way he wants to lead this country. He is aware of the enormity of the task that lies ahead of him and is resolute in meeting the challenges. He knows he owes it to the citizens of this nation, to show them the path back to prosperity and peace.

It was incredible to see the power of belief and faith, the energy as people celebrated, cheered and honored this young, dynamic leader whose patriotic words announced the dawning of a brand new day.

And today, as I go for my naturalization interview with mixed emotions, a decision that was very difficult for me to make, I take comfort in the thought of belonging to a country that promises a bright and secure future for generations to come.

I'm the present to your future
You're the wound and I’m the suture
You're the magnet to my pole
I'm the devil in your soul
You're the pupil I'm the teacher
You're the church and I'm the preacher
You're the flower I'm the rain
You're the tunnel I'm the train

Stand up all you lovers in the world
Stand up and be counted every boy and every girl
Stand up all you lovers in the world
Starting up a brand new day


From "Brand New Day" by Sting

No comments: