Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Movie Time

I am massively behind when it comes to movies. So much so that I don’t even remember the last movie I saw. Was it 'The Good Sheppard' or was it 'Jodha-Akbar'? No, may be 'Die Hard 2'. Oh! whatever, absolutely pitiful given the fact that I used to live on them......once upon a time.

Thus this past weekend, I made an effort to do some catching up and watched 'Ironman'” and 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. Iron man-was an out and out ‘superhero’ movie, a genre that I don’t necessarily care for but hey, give me Robert Downey, Jr. any day. I will watch not one but several flicks, as long as I get to lust and fantasize about him!

The other one, a period movie based on Philippa Gregory’s book is about two sisters, Anne and Mary Boleyn, who are (mis)guided by their greedy uncle and father to advance the family’s wealth and status by enticing the King of England. What began as an effort to help the family prosper and advance developed into a rivalry between the two sisters- Mary, who won the King’s admiration with her simplicity, soulfulness and beauty and Anne, the ruthless and ambitious older sister.

This movie had received mixed reviews but it made me rush to the study and Google about Henry VIII, the real history behind the story. It was interesting to learn about the King’s desperation for a male heir that led him to have several mistresses and six nuptials. His obsession resulted in a series of events that altered England’s history for ever- the most significant being the separation the Church of England from Roman Catholicism. Anne Boleyn succeeded in becoming the Queen albeit her conniving ways but was executed for incest and treason. And though she failed to produce a son, she brought Elizabeth to this world who succeeded her father and reigned England for the next 45 years.

Fascinating…and how ironic!

No comments: