Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Little Tiger and Sleep Talker

D doesn’t enjoy doing his numbers and letters, particularly numbers. I have to coax and negotiate with him every time to get him to practice them.

He is not asked to review them every day but at least once every two or three days. All in effort to get him ready for kindergarten which he starts next year. He recites them out loud, but when it comes to sitting and writing them, he balks!

Yesterday, I reminded him that he needs to sit for a few minutes and go over them. And as expected I got a ‘no’ from him. He wanted to watch ‘Scooby-Doo’ on TV instead. So a negotiation followed. I told him that he can only watch TV for 30 minutes and soon after will have to get his book out. He, of course didn’t like that at all. I once again explained to him the importance of practicing his numbers and letters and how this exercise will prepare him for the ‘big school’. BTW, the very idea of a ‘big school’ delights him. He is completely fascinated by it and is totally thrilled that, come next year, he will be going on a ‘school bus’ to his big school. So yesterday, when he again refused, I told him that he will not be able to attend the ‘big school, unlike his friends. That of course got him miffed and this is what he said:

Then…I will grow up and become a tiger
And when I become a tiger I will eat up my friends.
I will be such a big tiger that I will also eat up the big school
Then nobody will be able to go to the big school because it will be in my tummy!

Well D, you don’t have to wait to grow up to be a tiger – you are one, already!

As for the numbers and alphabets, he did review them later in the evening and was relieved to get them done!

*******
Both my kids sleep talk. Just like their mother!

Last night A was talking. We heard her say, "Mama, I want that. Nooooo, I want that."
Soon, she comes into our bed ( something that happens often now) and at about 4:30 in the morning, she wakes up, calls for me ( I am right next to her), crawls over me and heads to the bathroom crying, "Mama, mama, mama....."

Hubby dear wakes up (I thought I was dreaming), tells her where I am. She comes running back to the bed with her arms outstretched as if she is seeing me for the first time! Quite relieved and happy that she found her mama!. She climbs back up and in two seconds she is back to where she was....in la-la land!

No comments: