Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Book Tag!

I have been tagged for the second time (only) by my blogger pal-Anamika, if I may call her so.

This is how the tag goes:

The rules are:
Pick up the nearest book.
Open to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people, and acknowledge the person who tagged you .

Some people are adept at reading several books simultaneously. I am not. I tried but didn’t quite enjoy ‘multi-reading’. Hence, I read only one book at a time. Finding the time to read has become quite hard over the past few years. And whenever I do get the time, I get as far as reading ‘Curious George’, ‘Good Night Moon’ or ‘Disney Tales’.

It’s been a while since I last read a grown up book. My most recent acquisition is Daniel Goldman’s ‘Emotional Intelligence-Why It Can Matter More than IQ'. A topic that has fascinated me ever since I stumbled upon it. I am reading this book not just out of interest but also out of necessity. I currently in the process of developing a training session on this topic and therefore am familiarizing myself a bit more with the concept. Hence will use it for the tag.

The fifth sentence on page 123 is:

Social ineptitude is perhaps the most painful and explicit when it comes to one of the more perilous moments in the life of a young child; being on the edge of a group at play you want to join.

The next three sentences:
It is a moment of peril, one when being liked or hated, belonging or not, is made all too public. For that reason, that crucial moment has been the subject of intense scrutiny by students of child development, revealing a stark contrast in approach strategies used by popular children and by social outcasts. The findings highlight just how crucial it is for social competence to notice, interpret and respond to emotional and interpersonal cues.

So there!

I won’t tag anyone else but I would like to end this tag with a question to the few who visit my blog:

Are your emotionally intelligent?

Thanks Anamika!

1 comment:

Thinking Cramps said...

My answer: a resounding YES!

This is so true, I shied away from playing with neighborhood kids as a child because they were already a defined group when I moved there and I was afraid they didn't want me. So I never had the courage to find out either!