Friday, January 11, 2008

Nightime

It doesn’t help to have a 15 month old wake you up with whacks in the wee hours of the morning. Especially when you are not a morning person and are sleep deprived!

A’s sleeping habits have gone from bad to worse in the past few weeks. She starts by sleeping in the crib but ends up coming into our bed sometime after midnight. To make matters worse, she wakes up a few times during the night to drink water (something I think she does because she sees the cup on my night stand and because she enjoys drinking out of a cup, she just wants to). And the most challenging part is that she will only sleep with me. Not Papa.

Last night, both the kids woke up at the same time during the night – D calling out for me and A, well, standing up in her crib and screaming her lungs out! I asked Hubby dear to get A and went into D’s room to tend him back to sleep.
A not noticing me, started wailing and screaming and I could hear the half asleep hubby’s frustration peaking in his groggy yet disgruntled voice.

I decided to wait it out, hoping that she will calm down since she was still very sleepy. But she didn’t. Her screams became louder and unbearable and before our neighbors called the cops on us, I ran back into the bedroom, to find hubby dear struggling to hold on to her as she was trying to free herself from him.

The minute I walked in, she outstretched her arms and was almost ready to jump onto me. Her crying stopped the moment she laid her head on me. I looked at hubby dear sympathetically. He just shook his head, muttered, ‘the kids only want you’ (somewhat a refrain) under his breathe and went back to sleep, feeling dejected and unwanted.

As for A, she slept peacefully for the rest of the night waking up only once to take a sip out of the cup. She wakes up at 5:30, perky and ready to start the day. She expects me to get up as well and perhaps play with her, but I don’t. She waits for a few more minutes before she whacks me out of my sleep.

Not once, twice but three short, quick whacks. As if telling me, 'hey lazy bone, get your bloody ass out of the bed.'

I wake up totally annoyed, disgusted and ready to lash back at her but stop. There she is, looking at me with her head titled. And as our eyes met, her cherubic face breaks into a priceless smile, flashing her pearlies like little stars twinkling on a beautiful, clear night.

2 comments:

Thinking Cramps said...

Ouch, that must have hurt your husband. Still, next time they wail in the night, he will have an excuse to push you out of bed, saying "the kids only want you." That's how I'd twist it to my advantage anyway!

Suku said...

yes, i am sure that is what he can do but knowing him, he will try his best to help out in the situation. he feels very dejected when the kids want only me. poor thing!