Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Workings of a Toddler Mind

Rice (Bhaat) is a staple in the Bora household. We call ourselves 'Khaati Axomiya'(pure assamese) - the ‘Bhotua’(Bhaat=Bhotua) types. Hubby Dear, especially, enjoys it thoroughly. He gets restless if he doesn’t get to eat rice for more than three days.

Then there is A. His sweet, adamant daughter. She hates rice, to the point that even when a morsel is placed in her mouth, she pretends to gag. They are lot of things she and Hubby dear have in common, down to the looks, but this one, clearly, is not one of them.

She falls apart the minute I say, we are going to have rice and dal tonight. Her usual retort is, oh no, mama, I don’t want dinner, with her tiny hand clamping her mouth. And believe me when I say its takes might to pry that hand off her.

For the past few weeks, she has been complaining of headaches. So much so that it got us concerned. Yesterday, Hubby dear took her to the doctor for an evaluation. The pediatrician couldn’t detect anything but told us to carefully observe her going forward. If she continues with her complaints, we'd have to consult a neurologist, which I hope, will not be necessary. Seriously.

She comes back home thrilled after a visit to her favorite place. Yes, she is still in the -oh-I –love-to go-to-the-doctors-I –get-stickers-and –lollipop phase. I decide to tell her how eating ‘good nutritious food’ is an ideal way to deal with the headaches.

You know sweetie, this is the very reason I tell you not to eat junk food. I say, sounding overly patronizing.

But I lurve junk food, mama. I love cheeps, cookies, carrots (thank God!), grape-ees,(thank god!) cereal, bread (thank God!), candy (Bah!) BUT I DON’T LIKE RICE! And you know what mama?

What?

The doctor told me yesterday that I should NOT eat rice. That it is the rice that is making my head hurt, mama!

What? Did she really say that? I ask, believing her.

Well, almost. Yes, my 3 year old trickster-in-the-making almost fools me into thinking that ‘rice’ is the culprit, the cause of the headaches. The sucker that I am. I am completely blown away at how her 3 year old mind works.

5 comments:

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Hi first time here. A sounds like one smart cookie :) I have a 16 month old daughter and she's just learned how to 'pretend gag' whenever she doesn't want to eat something and wants us to think she's full. works every time too! They're all wiser than their years, these kids.

Suku said...

@NMOTB:Thanks for your visit and comment..yes kinds, nowadays are something aren't they?

Unknown said...

Suku - toddlers are the most tyrannical despots ever who are able to twist anything to suit their comfort levels ! But don't we love them for it ?

BTW do the Tulika blogathon 4 if you know some Assamese nursery rhymes - they're running short of these !

Suku said...

@EL: yes they are indeed...and that's why they are a joy!

wow, you have given me an important task of writing assamese rhymes...dont remember the words of the ones i knew...will have to check with mom and then post.

Unknown said...

Very impressive posting. Thanks for the share.

Easy Dry | Buy Wardrobe Online| Buy mop Online