Monday, October 26, 2009

A Bleak Future

My mother is showing early signs of dementia. She is acutely forgetful nowadays, sounds repetitive with her questions and observations.

She is 73 years old.

Dementia does not run in my mom’s family. It run in my dad’s. My paternal grandmother (Aita) eventually succumbed to Alzheimer’s, when she was 83 years old, almost 15 years ago. Alzheimer’s debilitated her. She regressed and suffered quietly. We all became strangers to her including the 8 kids she raised. It was a sad end to a vibrant life.

Is my mother on the same path as Aita? I don’t know, am not sure. But after yesterday’s conversation with her, I feel this enormous sense of hopelessness, fear of what the future holds for us. She sounded foggy and incoherent as I tried to wrap my head around her mental state.

It breaks my heart to see this once successful, brilliant, sharp woman losing herself to this illness. Granted, our memory becomes weak as we age but the rate at which hers is failing is rather scary. I worry for her tremendously and for my father, who has become her primary care giver. She also has diabetes which makes her situation even more complicated. She has been on insulin for almost a decade now. Her sugar level yo-yos just like my weight although dad has managed to keep it under control most of the time.

I have to admit, without dad’s constant care and diligence, I am not sure if mom would have survived this long. We all know that doctors make the worst patients-mom is a quintessential example of this notion. My dad is keeping her alive and for an 82 year old man, it’s not an easy feat.

I go home in a few weeks to be with them. No kids, no hubby accompanying me. This trip is just for my parents-to spend some quality time with them. I look forward to seeing them again but my trepidations get the best of me. My mom’s condition will obviously not progress so quickly but even the slightest change in her mental state will make it harder for me to accept the reality of it all. Why her? How much worse is it going to get? How will we take care of her? Is it going to be as difficult and painful as it was when Aita was struck with the disease? What changes do we need to make in order to accommodate this creeping disease?

Too many questions but no solid answers. I don’t know what’s to come but hopefully it will become clearer as we face the inevitable.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how that feels. While I have no words to comfort you, I hope God takes care of her and gives support to her and you and your family to go through this. Brought tears to my eyes.

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Rimjhim ba,

Hope you get to spend some quality time with your parents...can only hope that it's not as bad as it seems on the phone...it's really so sad to see loved ones dealing with such difficult situation...

Have a safe India trip and take care...am sure you will feel much better after spending some time with mom and dad...

Suku said...

@ preeti: thank you for your kind comment. trsut me, it was very comforting.
@ priyanka: yes, i look forward to spending time with them..i dont have to worry about keeping social commitments or visitng relatives...this trip is just for them.

Thinking Cramps said...

All the best Suku. I can't imagine having to deal with this. Thoughts of our parents' mortality are so hard to accept, and it must b hard to come to terms with this situation. I hope things go smooth and your mother keeps well, as does your father. On a lighter note, there is a site I have often mentioned on my blog - www.knowitalz.com/community/2.html. It is a blog by a woman caring for her Alzheimer-struck father. You might like to read it. All the very best.

Suku said...

@Anna: yes i do read Kathy's blog...i love reading her accounts about her father-its amazing how positive she comes across.
all the best....with your move.

Anonymous said...

Sukanaya, so sorry to hear this. Its every childs nightmare- what you describe.

All the best on our trip to India. And if nothing else, I wish you acceptance. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sukanya, I am in the process of setting up a foundation for caregivers' in Ahmedabad. I am not sure where you are, but if you'd like any help from people like me...I'd be glad to be of help. You know how to reach me by now :) God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and here is another blogger you might be interested in - she's a caregiver to her mom who has Alzheimer's and she is a well-respected name in the AD care circles - www.sapnawrites.wordpress.com!