Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shifting Gears

D bids adieu to his pre-k friends tomorrow and starts summer camp on Monday. It marks the beginning of a new phase in his life. New, unknown yet exciting. At his age, it is difficult to discern if he really understands how hard a transition can be but he seems to be taking it in his stride. I don’t think he realizes that he won’t see his friends again. That he joins a new group of people in a completely new setting. As his mother, I know he is uncomfortable with newness (barring toys) and I am apprehensive of how he assimilates. My only hope is that he acclimatizes quickly and is comfortable. Clearly, I am more stressed than he is about all these changes. I don’t know what Monday holds for us but it better be good.

The summer camp we have enrolled him into came highly recommended and their schedule looked pretty impressive to us. D is quite excited to attend his first summer camp but with all firsts, there’s also uncertainty. I hope the activities, trips and games the camp promises, will make this move easy for him and he enjoys his new friends and teachers.

This morning he proudly took a gift he made for his teachers. Yes, a parting gift from him to acknowledge the significant role they played in his formative years. As parents, we couldn't have found better teachers for him. They are passionate, dedicated, kind and genuine. D has the highest regard for them and will miss them dearly.

As much as I like change, it does weird things to me. Like many, the unknown causes me to be anxious And it’s even more difficult when it involves the kids. The other person who will be affected by all this is A. So far pre-school has been fun for her because she has had company. Her dear brother. They look out for each other, sometimes even get to hang out and play together but all this will change next week. I am equally concerned about her and with Hubby dear away (yes, he is in Portland) I hope I can manage single-handedly what lay ahead.

As I get D ready for this new juncture, I pray he will be safe and happy. That this newness will help him find his passion, his individuality, makes him strong and excited about life.

The following poem accompanied the gift D made for his teachers.

I Will Remember You

To the Staff at PALS
Thank you for helping me
To learn what I need to know
I will remember you
No matter where I go.
Thank you for being
So nice and kind and good;
I like you so much,
I'd stay here if I could!

Adapted from a poem by Joanna Fuchs