Friday, May 8, 2009

Insensitive, Delusional People Who Make Me Say...

Fuck YOU!!

MIM and MGM posts got me thinking. Over the years, people have said stuff to me that belittled me, made me feel judged. The following are some remarks I remember from my Bombay and Delhi days.

ASSAM..where is that? Are you an Indian?

You are an Assamese. You just don’t look like one. You are very attractive.

Assam ha? You are from 'Chinky Land'- although you don’t look like one. Good for you.

Are you sure you are an Assamese? You look North Indian to me.

You are from Assam. Why don’t you do a Naga dance for us?

Assam ha? So you must eat dogs-how do you do that? I mean, eat pets?

I can go on and on with this. I just realized that I have been a victim of far more crude, preposterous comments than I thought. I better stop before I go and take out my temper on an unsuspecting soul.

Edited to add:
Thank you all for your comments. I am not sure how to react-this is the first time I have had more than one person comment on my blog. Yeah, poor me.
It is a rather disturbing post and to answer some of you as to why I didn't do anything with the comments I got. Well, who said I didn't ? I did lash back whenever I could reminding people of their ignorance and my intolerance. And sometimes I made the situation even worse for the deluded soul. I clearly remember my response to the last comment about eating pets. I told the individual that we just don't stop at pets. Sometimes we like to partake in cannabalistic rituals too!. You should have seen how this person turned around and hastily exited from the room. In some instances, I got to admit, I was just overly dumbfounded to even react. I call myself a victim because I was at the receiving end and I was a lot younger (wayyy younger!)when these comments were made. I don't hold grudges. I easily forgive but don't quite forget. And such incidents will never get erased. And as you can see, the impact they have had on me -I remember them as if they happened to me yesterday. Let someone dare say anything now-they will not survive to see another day.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I wrote about something v v similar here http://lostonthestreet.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/to-all-my-dear-indian-friends/
Nothing else to say,but Sigh!!!
why oh why cant i comment on ur blog using my wordpress accout?

lostonthestreet, incase u haven't figured :-)

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Gooosh....I have heard the these same insensitive things SOOOOO many times...Grrr...

Monika said...

omg! really? are people nuts? I can't even imagine how bad you must have felt.

iz said...

Yuck! Hey make back some racist comments no? What's stoppin ya?

Suku said...

Iz: i did lash back in some instances. with others, i was just too dumbfounded to react..i was a lot younger when i heard these comments. reading other posts on this topic brought some of those memories back. let anyone try making similar comments now- they will be shot mercilessly! btw, welcome back to the bloggoshere!

Suku said...

i meant blogosphere!

Unknown said...

Tell them to bugger off . Such illiterates - as Iz says what stops you from giving itback?

Swaram said...

Oh, how stupid! I cant believe people can be so insensitive. They only deserve something like the cannibalism remark u made.

Why don't ppl put themselves in another's shoes before passing a remark? Ridiculous