Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Nikhi Not Talk To Me

A, how was your day? What did you do at school today?
Oh, Mama, Nikhi (Nikhil) not talk to me, replies A, whiningly.
Why? Did you do anything to him?
Nothing. He not talk to me, answers A, sounding defeated.

The first time I heard this, I anxiously wondered if she did something to her little friend at school. Physically hurt him, to be precise. Knowing my girl, she is quite capable of aggression. Apparently not. I checked with her teachers and on the contrary they play all day and quite amicably with each other.

I have no idea why she said that and continues to use this refrain every time we ask her how her day at school was. It’s gotten to a point where she now uses it even when she returns after spending a day at her grandparents.

As much as we enjoy her answer, we are struggling with this. We want her to share something else, something new but she doesn’t. We tried changing our questioning style to something like A, what else happened at school besides Nikhil not talking to you? or A, did you draw? did you play outside? What story did Ms. Mary Kay tell you today?
And how does she answer?

Oh, Mama, Nikhi not talk to me. He not talk to me.

Go figure!

No comments: