Thursday, February 26, 2009

There is Hope

He didn’t help me once but twice in a span of 10 minutes. First he let me have his turn to pay so that I can get on with the day and second, he carried the heavy brown paper bag I was desperately trying to stop from slipping out of my grip. Both times he insisted I allow him.

I don’t know if he felt sorry for me. Did I look that pitiful? A haggard mother dragging her kids to the grocery store, one in her arms and the other towing along. Perhaps I did. I don’t know but his gestures of kindness were a validation that it ain’t so bad out there. That it’s not as bleak or unsalvagable as it seemed when I read about this insolent behavior by this pathetic person. That there is hope. For every scum bag like Gaurav Chopra, there are twice as many Samaritans like this man at the store whose acts of compassion and generosity make this world a better place.

No comments: