Friday, February 6, 2009

Celebrating Cupid

Over the years, the scope of Valentine's Day (VD)has changed to broaden the meaning of 'love'. There are now gifts for siblings, parents, grandparents and even pets, unlike in the earlier days when it was a special day just meant for couples and people in 'relationships'.

Well, speaking of this special day, I have never quite celebrated VD with gusto and will probably continue with this tradition.

Our idea (Hubby dear and mine) of celebrating this day - a day that glorifies love, trust, friendship, togetherness doesn't go beyond the customary exchange of cards with each other. I know, I know, it sounds boring but we are content with that. I also admit that Hubby Dear is better at selecting his cards because they are unique and convey beautiful messages that indeed reflect what we share. I, on the other hand, am quite shoddy when it comes to picking the 'right' card.

My colleague, just a few minutes ago, was sharing her idea for this year. She picked up this little dairy at Hallmark (trust Hallmark to come up with something like this)called 'Things I love about you' with at least 20 pages to fill with stories and anecdotes that make the relationship special. It is another creative way of professing one's love for the partner - quite romantic and of course a mature way to celebrate what you have. I almost got 'sold' on it. Almost. But I know me. I simply don't have the patience to write and fill so many pages. Also, I am not sure if I can rely on my fading memory, recall the hundred thousand 'little things' hubby dear has done for me. And I speak for him as I say this - he probably doesn't either.

I think we will stick to our 'routine' and perhaps go out for a nice dinner. Include the kids as well. And why not? They are a very important part of what we share and their presence has made our relationship stronger and more beautiful.

But there is one thing I do want to change this year- 'up' the quality of the card I choose for my beloved.

So off I go. Where else? Hallmark!

1 comment:

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Wishing you guys a Happy Valentine's Day in advance:-))!!

Speaking of Valentine's day celebrations, a couple of my friends are putting me under a lot of pressure :-))...making elaborate arrangements to celebrate the day, while I am as lost as ever as to what we should do...it shall be a quiet dinner for us as well I guess...as always..