Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Atlanta Trip

Day of departure: Snow starts falling in the afternoon, couple of hours before our flight. Was worried it would delay our departure but it wasn’t so bad. We did get pushed a bit but not for snow. We were waiting for the goddamn pilot to arrive!! We boarded and sat in the plane for almost an hour before his Majesty showed up.
And we were stalled again on the runway as the wings of the aircraft had slush on them and needed to be deiced. All in all, not so bad. D was very good- no whining, whimpering – just a good little boy. Reached Atlanta at 11:30 pm. Were relieved to see E and K at the airport and we hit the bed as soon as we got home!

Day 1 in Atlanta: Decided to go to Stone Mountain Park and get on the skylift. But before we got there, had a nice lunch at a quaint German restaurant. It also had a bakery and the cookies we bought for a little sugar boost were simply yummy! Stone Mountain was quite refreshing minus the regular tourists. It was practically empty and we loved it! There were just 5 of us on the skylift as opposed to the usual 25-30 odd people during the summer. The view from the top of the mountain of the city was simply breathtaking.
Later in the evening, we went to dinner at Chilis. Good food. Of course the highlight of the meal was the molten chocolate cake. Warm chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling. Topped with vanilla ice cream under a crunchy chocolate shell. Hmmm, hmmmm, heavenly!!!
D floored both E and K and demanded a Batman suit from them. So after dinner, we had to go to the Super Target looking for a suit. Fortunately we were able to brainwash him into buying a little batman toy instead of the suit. I couldn’t imagine carrying a suit back to Maryland and besides there wasn’t much room left in my tiny suitcase. To our relief, he was satisfied with his newest acquisition.

Day 2: It snowed in Atlanta! Yet again. We definitely brought the cold weather with us from the east coast. Luckily it wasn’t very rough and didn’t stick to the ground. Hence no accumulation. Decided to turn on the fireplace, cuddle up under a fleece blanket and watch movies over hot mugs of coffee.

In the evening, my friends who were on a visit and their friends came over for dinner. After the preliminary introductions, chatting, drinking and gorging on flavorful Thai food, the guitars and the violin came out and we all jammed! We sang for almost two hours –non stop from Little River Band, Joan Baez to Jayanta Hazarika and Kishore Kumar! Fun all the way. The whiskey and the wine adding to the effect!
One of those wonderful evenings with great company, food and music!

Day 3: Was woken up by D who was lamenting on how much he misses S Mama, my friend. And also how much he misses ‘Spider Girl’- O, my friend’s friend who has this uncanny resemblance with Kirsten Dunst. Hence she was referred to as the ‘Spider Girl’ the entire evening. This is how he moaned:

Mama, where is Spider girl?
She went home. Why?
I miss her. Last night she played so much with me. (She did. Thanks O for keeping my son entertained).
Oh…I miss her very much.

Spent the rest of the morning nursing a hangover. Nothing new. Just like always, went a little overboard! Too much whiskey on the rocks.

We had a flight to catch in the evening, so got packing. Then headed out for a very late lunch to IHOP where both D and I ravenously ate. Good for him, bad for me.

Our flight back was quite uneventful expect for D reminding me how much he misses his uncle and aunt. Not once, twice but several times! Poor thing- he really had a ton of fun with them. I must admit, I was a little skeptical of how he was going to be on the trip. He was simply wonderful. Well-mannered, listened, was my little ‘helper’ and of course wooed everyone he came in contact with. I am so proud of him!

Hubby dear was at the airport. I couldn’t wait to get home to pick up A in my arms and give her a nice, snuggly hug. As soon as she saw me, she gave me her million dollar smile. It was only after I held her did I realize how much I missed her.

It was good to be home.

No comments: