Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Looking Good is Painful

We have a party to attend- a Christmas party being organized by a very close couple friend of ours. I enjoy going to their house and spending time with them and since it is about Christmas and the holiday season, I am certain the air that night will be even more exciting!

Their invitation reads- “We are making room for our growing family (yes, my sweet friend is pregnant-bless her!). Come and clean out our liquor cabinet!”

Now isn’t that a tempting invitation?

Hubby dear and I have decided that we will leave the kids (although kids are welcome) with their grandparents on that day so that we don’t have to spend the time at the party running after them and tending to them. Which I tell you, brings a smile to me. No, I am not a bad mom- just a mother who needs a breather and wants to enjoy some time with adult company!

For some reason, I want to dress up. I know it is not a formal affair. I can safely go in denims as well but I really do want to deck myself up that night. Feel like a hot sexy woman for a change. So in my pursuit to look good, I have been visiting stores looking for the ‘right’ outfit. I spent the entire weekend scouring but haven’t had much luck till now.

It is too short, too flashy, too tight, too revealing….

I have a reputation of being an impulsive shopper but this time I am very cautious. Partly because, I still have a ton of weight to lose before I can fit into any outfit and secondly I really don’t want to spend money on something that I will wear only once. Something that will disappear into my closet just like few other clothing items have in the past.

So my search is on and I am beginning to lose patience. I am slowly and gradually getting frustrated with the stores for not carrying anything that I deem decent and also for being lazy. For not working at losing that extra weight. I want to lose the weight but am I doing anything about it? Nope! I am just waiting for some divine intervention- which of course is ridiculously unrealistic!

Anyway- coming back to finding the right outfit. The rate at which my frustration and impatience are peaking, I am already envisioning myself showing up at the party wearing my favorite outfit – a pair of jeans, some random sweater and boots! Out goes my fashionable clothing or my aspiration to look scintillating, in comes my real wardrobe!

I am pretty certain that by Friday all my hopes of dressing up will come down to me standing in my closet, staring at my clothes and pondering for the next few hours what to wear. I can already see myself scavanging through my cluttered closet looking for the ‘one’ item and getting disappointed with the look I will create.

And this is just my clothes I am talking about. Not to mention the rest of the package-hair, make up and accessories! Hence to be on the safe side-I called my hair stylist and got an appointment with her for Saturday afternoon. If not anything, at least I will have my hair intact.

Who knows, maybe a little hair fixing will help me achieve my look.

Even in my denims and boots.

1 comment:

Thinking Cramps said...

So did you find anything yet? I wear such regular clothes, nothing exciting EVER! but it's always fun to hear about other people's clothes. And to see pictures (Hint Hint!!!).