Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Taking it easy the 2nd time around

Last night, Hubby dear was playing a video that he had taken of D’s first steps and I am embarrassed to admit how hysterical I sound on it. No, this is an understatement. I sounded quite demented with my screaming and over the top screeching voice! I couldn’t believe I was so excited to see him take his first steps.

And with A, my reaction to it was, “oh, she has started walking”. Staid, matter of fact, unlike the first time. As the difference in these two reactions dawned on me, I felt quite guilty for not being as excited with A as I had been with D. She is just as sweet and adorable as my first born. She brings the same amount of joy, in fact maybe more by just being a girl(think 'Pink'). Yet, there seems to be a noticeable change in the way we deal and react to her.

To feel better, I am telling myself that we have matured as parents and are using some of the lessons we learned with our first born. We are not hyper or anal about things now. To simply put it, we are ‘taking it easy’. Also a lot of it depends on the child’s needs and personality. A seems to be much more independent at her age than D was. She knows exactly what she wants and goes for it. She is happy when she can play by herself and doesn’t necessarily need company. It is fun to see her walk wobbly all over the room with her arms outstretched as if she is carving a path for herself. Hubby dear calls her the little 'Frankenstein' when she does that. She loves to climb- almost everything. Whether it is the sofa, bed, stairs and even her high chair, she is unstoppable. And we are just letting her be. She loves playing with her brother. They seem to have a mutual admiration for each other which is quite evident when they are together, playing. I think the biggest difference is that we don’t really have to keep a constant eye on her. She is good at taking care of herself and the added benefit is that she has an older brother who can watch over her.

I can’t wait for her to get to the age D is now. The 3’s could be terrible but I must admit they are also the fun age. I am having so much fun with D. Simple conversations, affection, laughter, pretend play, board games, puzzles, songs and dance – couldn’t ask for anything more. We definitely have our rough moments but in the bigger scheme of things, they really don’t matter at all. After all, a little disagreement goes a long way in solidifying the bond we share.

I can’t wait to develop the same, strong and nurturing bond with A.
And I am pretty certain that it will be as good and strong and I also have a sneaky feeling that it will be fun-ner!

No comments: