Monday, October 29, 2007

Happy Halloween!

There was a kids Halloween party last Saturday to which both my kids got invited. D has been a Superman for the last few days (he refuses to get out of his costume. He looks pretty dandy, no doubt!) and A was dressed as a duckling! Awww, how adorable!

I wanted to dress up too. For the first time in 7 years, I decided to revel in the spirit of Halloween. So I dash out an hour before the party looking for accessories and was particularly hung up on getting a wig for myself. I got back home with not one but two (call this over-enthused!). D saw me pulling the wigs out of the packets and followed me into the bedroom.

The first one I tried was a flaming yellow-orange wig, quite hideous but fun. Now although the packet said ‘one size fits all’, it just wouldn’t fit! Still, I shoved it over my head and asked D for his opinion.

No, mama, not working for you, said my 3 year old, confidently and shaking his head disapprovingly.

I tried the second one, a Gothic wig, black with purple bangs on it. And it fitted me pretty good. As soon as D saw me, he ran out of the room somewhat scared and started calling his father from the stairs.

Papa, you need to come up. I need your help.

What is it D, why do you need my help?

Mama is ‘trying hair’ and it is not working at all.

Of course, that cracked both of us up.

Despite my son’s overt rejection, I decided to adorn the wig and head out to the party. I also made sure that I had purple colored make up on. (I must admit I wasn't a pretty sight at all!) Therefore wasn't really surprised to see A's reaction as well. On our way out, I picked her up and the look she gave me was comically quaint, as if saying, who the heck is this woman? Is this really mama or some alien from Space Purple?

I plan to wear the wig ( and make-up) again on Wednesday, on Halloween, at an office retreat. And I already see D’s little head shaking and screaming disapproval. But what the heck. it is Halloween!The only day you can get by wearing a hideous and ugly wig. And I plan to take absolute advantage of this opportunity! (Hee!)

No comments: