Friday, April 9, 2010

Nonchalance

Yesterday, D comes home from school carrying two things that made me swell with mother’s pride. One was an award certificate(which also included a coupon for a kid’s free meal at Chick-fil-A) announcing him as one of his school’s HERO-someone who displays responsibility, politeness, safety and respect consistently. The other is an 'Incredibles' comic book he won for completing the reading Olympics which took place a few weeks ago.



He is quick to show off the book he borrows from the school library every Thursday. This is the first thing he does when he gets back, routinely. Takes out the book promptly from his bag and flaunts it. Something I have begun to expect from him. Yesterday, being Thursday, he did exactly that but didn't mention or show the special prizes he won. Fortunately, I check his bag every evening. I pulled the items out, all fired up wanting to know more about them.

D, you got a certificate and the comic book? How??? Why??? This is awesome! I said, happily snapping away his latest achievements.

“Um....I got the certificate because I got four hero slips from my teacher this month. And....I got the book for completing the gold in reading...as a prize”, he replied, quite casually.

This is wonderful, sweetheart. Aren’t you thrilled? I asked sounding almost hysterical (that’s me- I am drama personified!).

I hugged and kissed him, told him how impressed I was with him.

Yup, mama..thanks, he said in his easygoing manner and then dashed off to play with his sister.

Evidently, my attempts to turn this into the highlight of the day, a WOW moment, failed miserably. My 6 year old, laid back and nonchalant as always has discernibly moved on.

No comments: