Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekend Chit-Chat

D gets a button with one of his birthday cards that says ‘cool kid’. He reads it aloud, likes the sound of it and decides to put it on his shirt.
As I help him do that, I ask, D, are you cool kid?
Yes, mama.
Do you know what ‘cool’ means?
Yeah…it means cool!
OK, but what is cool?
Oh, it means I am smart and fun.
OK, anything else?
And handsome, mama!

*************************************************

A day before his sixth birthday party, D is fantasizing about his celebratory party. Mama, you know, all my friends will come tomorrow and play with me because they like me. And I will stand in the middle of a big circle and say, I am the birthday boy. I am six today and I am a rock star!
Later that day, he made his Papa buy him a button (yes, another one) which lights up and has a picture of a guitar on it with the words "rock star' boldly printed over it. He wore it proudly on the day of his party, his face grinning from ear to ear.

*****************************************************

Mama, I want to marry you, quips my 3 year old daughter.
That’s nice sweetie, I reply flatteringly and out of curiosity, I ask, do you know what ‘marry’ means, sweetie?
Yes, mama. You kissie each other and then you eat cake.

No comments: