Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Post Travel Blues

Christmas was a blur, mainly because I flew over the Atlantic the day before. Jet lag-I tell you. The older you get, the harder it is to shake it!

The kids were thrilled with all the presents Santa got for them. Too many if you ask me. Next year they each get one. Only one toy. And we plan to celebrate Christmas differently, by doing something noble like serving food at a homeless shelter or some such community service.

I applaud Hubby dear for holding the fort down for two whole weeks while I was away in aamchi desh. The onus of buying Christmas gifts and wrapping them fell entirely on him (besides taking care of the kids and the household) and he did a glorious job. I have to admit, I need to trust him more with his kid rearing abilities. I think I do now. My next sole trip will be longer for sure!

It’s been bittersweet for me to come back home. By the end of the trip, I began missing the kids terribly. So what could be better than having two squealing kids tightly hug me, plant gazillion sweet kisses and proclaiming how much they missed me. The bestest feeling ever! A, kept saying and she still does after almost a week, Mama, I missed you yesterday!

I am back to my life, my kids and hubby. But I miss the pampering, the good food, the closeness and proximity to my folks, siblings and friends. I miss chatting them up, having animated, deep conversations about the world in general. I miss the physical closeness , warmth and hospitality of the people, the smells, beautiful colors and hues, the aroma of a fresh cup of Assam tea, the scrumptious food – fried fish, murighonto, khaar, juicy rasgollas, spicy samosas, bhelpuris, appams, keema paranthas, fried Bombay Duck, idlis, momos and even basic dal and rice. For some reason, the dal cooked at home is always tastier than what I churn out here albeit using the same ratios and spices.


photo source: www.trekearth.com/assam

Delhi is an altered city. I don’t recognize it any more given the changes it’s going through. There is progress, hope, enthusiasm, power oozing out from all corners of the city. Guwahati, too has progressed in its own chaotic way. There is a method to its madness and the locals are embracing the changes the best way they know.



photo source: www.trekearth.com/delhi

Although short, the trip was exciting and needless to say, fun. I came back rejuvenated yet sad about being miles away from loved ones. This distance, the absence of togetherness nags me. But the kids, their antics, affability, cheerfulness and unconditional love make it easier on me.

To my family and friends in India- I MISS you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. . Thank you for yet another memorable stay. Wishing you a wonderful and magical new year! Muah...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also in assam.wish we could have met..Hope you had a fun stay.yes ghy has changed ,hasn't it? I was thrilled to get home delivery for pizza hut!! :-)