Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cousins (Dis)Connect

My cousin and her family are in town. Their year and a half old daughter is clearly in love with D. And yes, the feeling is mutual. D is protective, hugs and kisses her whenever he gets a chance.

A, on the other hand, is not at all pleased with her cousin’s visit. Her territorial nature and jealousy (yes, she is in her terrible two's) due to divided attention are more pronounced than ever. Also, surprisingly, she is hugely intimidated by this pint sized adorable imp.

The three of them had gone to NYC for a few days and were returning last night- a joyous moment for D but definitely not for A.

D cheered when he realized that they arrive in the evening. A sulked and had no qualms in telling me that she didn’t want the baby to come back.

D: Mama, when are Mahi (aunt) and Moha (uncle) leaving?
Me: In two weeks.
D: Oh no..I don’t want them to go.
Me: Why?
D: They will take the baby away. I want her to stay with us for fifty million days, he proclaimed exuding brotherly love.

I looked at A, who was intently listening to our conversation and asked,

A, what about you? Will you be sad when the baby goes away?
No, I don’t want baby. I am scared of baby. If baby stays, I go away forever, she declared.

At this rate, come departure day, A will be the only one enthusiastically waving goodbye to her little cousin with a big grin on her face!

1 comment:

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

:-))

Was just imagining the scene with D,A and the little one ...brought a smile to my face...children and their antics ...adorable...