Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hair

I plaited my hair today.

Never in my 36 years, have I managed to braid my hair. I am challenged when it comes to hairstyling. I only thing I do best is put up my hair in a crunchy…a pathetic looking, over sized crunchy!

My hair and I go a long way….in terms of the adventures I have had with it. I am always experimenting. Perm, color, highlights, bob cut, you name it….done it all. Except shave. Hmmm, maybe someday! No. I don't think so. I don’t have the guts to be that extreme!

I remember in college, every phone conversation with my mother ended up with her customarily asking me…So is your hair intact? Or have you done anything else to it?

I have a reputation: someone who plays with hair!

I want to grow my hair. Long. Quite long, at least up to my chest (or breasts!). This has always been my goal. But I have never succeeded in achieving it. I always end up losing patience, getting bored and doing something to break the monotony. I do have nice hair…must mention this, unabashedly. By nice, I mean, it’s pretty thick and smooth. Something that I have difficulty grasping, considering the amount of stuff I have done to it. I used to be one of those people who oiled their hair almost every other day. Massage it with hot coconut oil. Of course, a ritual I stopped after coming to the US. Why? Sheer laziness! I did it religiously for many years and may be that is why it hasn’t lost its luster.......yet.

Anyway, I am quite proud of the fact that I braided my hair. It’s been about two hours since and they are still intact. Yoo-Hoo! And I hope they last the entire day!

Now don’t ask me how long I took to style it….I refuse to answer that!

No comments: