Monday, March 3, 2008

A Little Boy's Big Birthday Party!

D celebrated his 4th birthday yesterday at Chuck E Cheeses with 17 of his friends. He had been excited about it for several days- every morning reminding us that his party is at Cheeses. He loves that place and we couldn’t think of a better place to throw him a special party.

Mama, tomorrow is my party (for him everyday is tomorrow or yesterday)
Yes D, are you excited?
Yeah and you know who will come to my party?
Who?
He rattles off his friends names, one after the other.

His party has been the topic of discussion for several weeks now. He would mention it when he is happy and also when he is not, particularly when he would be miffed with us.

Mama. Why did you do that? Now you not coming to my party.
Only A is coming. Not you.

Or,

Papa, you are not invited to my party. I will have it without you.
Hubby dear gets a little cheeky and answers,
But D, I am the one who is throwing the party for you. I am one who will be paying for it. You don’t have the money, what will you do?
Then Papa, I will be Spider man and I will webb you.

Has to end with Spider man.

Speaking of which, what was the theme of his shindig yesterday? You guessed it right- Spider man! We got him a huge Spider man cake. All the kids squealed when they saw it. D of course, was beaming with pride the minute he saw what looked like Spider man crawling up a wall with a web. It tasted yummy too! He also was pretty kicked with his little Spider man badge that said ‘the birthday champ’. After I put it on his shirt, he refused to wear his coat over it simply because he didn’t want the coat to cover it. After much cajoling, he gave in.

For the first time, we didn’t have to run around like crazy folks. All his past birthdays were at home with about 40-50 guests. Hubby dear and I did everything, even the food was home cooked, not catered. We’d be stressed about the whole day, not really enjoying much of it. And by the end of it, we’d be dog tired, taking at least a couple of days to recover!

But yesterday, things were quite different and I loved it. There wasn’t any running around to do, no food to be cooked. WE HAD A HOSTESS! A party hostess who took care of everything!! Being the quasi-perfectionist, I wasn’t too impressed with her party planning skills but hey, I am not complaining. I will take a hostess any day!

We also didn’t have to worry about how to keep the kids occupied since that was taken care of by the venue itself. All the kids had a blast running around and trying out the different games the place had to offer. All the kids but D. He just walked around carrying his small cup of game tokens. Not really being decisive here! But again, it was his day, so we just let him be!
He also didn’t allow me to take any pictures of him. The ones that I took clandestinely didn’t come out as well. He used to love being photographed but not anymore. I guess this is another one of his phases.

But all in all, he was very pleased with his birthday. He surely was one happy little birthday boy!
We returned home with a car load of gifts which the birthday boy couldn't wait to open. After much negotiation and discussion, he agreed to open just a few and leave the others to be opened on the 4th, his actual birthday. A helped her older brother rip open some of the gifts and she was equally excited, dancing and jumping alongside her brother every time they unveiled a new toy.

I can't think of a better way to end a special party for a special boy.

Edited to add: When I was at the day care the next day, I was told by the teachers in D's room that the kids spent the whole day just talking about how much fun they had at D' party. Ryan, one of his classmates, told the teacher that it was the 'party of the year'!

No comments: